- If you would like to do your Master thesis on any of my research areas please send me an email.
Current PhD Students:
- If you would like to do your Bachelor, Master or PhD thesis on any of my research areas please send me an email.
- Miklos Nagy External Part-time PhD student, Open University. Thesis: Ontology Mapping with Intelligent Agents on the Semantic Web: The theory and practice of agent belief and consensus building. (Dr. Maria Vargas-Vera was the Main Supervisor). Examination December 2012; Graduated; 2013, PhD in Computer Science.
- Carol Smith (MSc student). Computing M801 project, Computing Department, Open University,UK. (February 2009 – March 2010) – Using a Knowledge Cartography Creation Process to improve IT enabled projects. (my role was Specialist Advisor). Graduated, 2010.
- Penny Meiers (MSc student). Computing M801 project, Computing Department, Open University, UK. (February 2009 – March 2010) – Which project compendium components are perceived to contribute most towards project success in the minds of project managers? (my role was Specialist Advisor). Graduated, 2010 with distinction.
- Marek Wisniewski. (Full-time) PhD student. PhD Thesis: Ontology Construction from Text. Department of Management Information Systems, Poznan University of Economics, Poland. The extraction of relations from text using an axiomatic approach was my contribution to this thesis (i.e. I supervised the extraction of relations from text). Note my work in the supervision of Marek’s Thesis. Link to the thesis MarekWisniewski-UczenieOntologiiZTekstu (refer to chapters 6 and 7. Also see page 20 and 189). Graduated, 2009, PhD Business IT.
- Adam Kay (Full-time) PhD student, Open University UK. Thesis: Combinatorial and Probabilistic Aspects of Interconnected Trees. (Dr. Maria Vargas-Vera was a Co-supervisor). (co-supervision from 2009 to 2010).
- Ahmad Chaudhry Zaheer. Undergraduate Thesis: Voice over Internet Protocol. Computing Department, Nicosia University Cyprus (graded with maximum score A). Graduated, June 2007.
- Yesica Castellanos. Undergraduate Thesis: CONQUIRO: a Cluster-Based Information Retrieval Meta-search Engine. Sciences Faculty, Dept of Mathematics; National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM). (rated as an excellent thesis by Examiners) Graduated, September 2006.
- Gaston Burek. (Full-time) PhD student. PhD Thesis: Mapping Queries into Ontological Spaces. KMI, Open University UK. (supervision from October 2003 to October 2004).
- David Celjuska. MSc. Thesis: Semi-Automatic Construction of Ontologies from Text Department of Cybernetics and Artificial Intelligence, Technical University of Kosice Slovakia. (rated as outstanding thesis by Examiners) Graduated, June 2004.
- Alberto Castro. MSc. Thesis TBPG – a Techniques-Based Program Generator (selected thesis 1994). Dept. of Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh University. Graduated, September 1994.
- Gabriel Duncan. MSc. Thesis TX- a Prolog Explanation System (selected thesis 1992). Dept. of Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh University. Graduated, September 1992.
Summary of Formed Personnel:
- 2 Graduated PhD’s students
- 5 Graduated MSc students
- 2 Graduated Undergraduated students
My Interns (Supervised Internships):
- Currently, I do not have funding for summer internships however, I would be happy to receive inquiries from students who have their own funding.
- Supervision of an Intern. Mr. David Celjuska from the Technical University of Kosice Slovakia; July-September 2003. This internship was part of my project on Automatic Construction of Ontologies from Text. The student developed an initial Java interface for Marmot, Badger and Crystal (initial step for the Ontosophie system). The internship was completed successfully in September 2003.
- Supervision of an Intern. Mr. Mattia Lanzoni from the University of Bologna, Italy; May-September 2001. Interface for MnM an information Extraction System by Mattia Lanzoni. The internship was completed succesfully in September 2001.
- School of Informatics, Edinburgh University. Mentor; from July 2011 to present. (Duties: Share experience on AI ).
- Muhammad Mian (Full-time) PhD. I was Third Part Monitor, Computing Department, Open University, UK; from October 2008 until October 2009. (Duties: Monitoring, Mentoring, Pastoral Care).
- Dileep Damle (Full-time) PhD. I was Third Part Monitor, KMI, Open University, UK; from October 2004 until November 2006. (Duties: Monitoring, Mentoring, Pastoral Care).
Inspiration comes always when you have passion for research. Leave your heart go and follow it. – Dr. Maria Vargas-Vera
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. – Mark Twain